Wednesday, October 28, 2009

UN Day Part 2


A bit overdue. Last Friday UN Day was celebrated in one of the public grounds in Dar with a flag raising ceremony, speeches by the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, the Resident Coordinator of the UN, and the President of the United Nations Association. The best speech was by the United Nations Association. They are a non-profit organization that works to highlight and make the UN's work accessible to the communities, espcially children and youth. You might be familiar with them from their Model UN program from your high school days. They have these UN clubs in schools all around the world. Below is a poem, about the birth of the UN, recited at the ceremony by one of the members of the local UN club.

My Dream

I was born in a family, a family of many nations
I was born after my brother, the League of Nations
I was born to accomplish, where my brother ended
I was born for a purpose, for a purpose indeed

Since I was born, I have seen the best
The opposite is true; I have also seen the worst
See what I am seeing, a vision for the future
What the future might bring, it’s a work of every creature.

The world is sometimes bad, not because of bad people
But because of good people, who can’t stop the bad people
The first or the latter, which group are you in?
But before you choose, hear the dream I had then.

Hear the dream I had and see through my eyes
When the time passed, to a darker evening on bed
I lay trembling, with a bad dream in my head
It is not even a dream, it only brings tears
You still want to listen? Alright, give me your ears.

I heard the kids crying, ooh please not me
I saw the women raped, ooh god don’t let me see
I saw the people dying in the heart of Africa
I saw the people fighting in the South-East Asia
My nightmare ended and now I have a dream


Now I have a dream, a nice dream to share
A dream to end hunger, poverty and diseases
A dream to stop wars and live like brothers
Helping the women, and children together
By delivering as one, it is our mission together

By delivering as one, we shall reach our mission
I am only the path, a path to emancipation
For the past and the present, and the future generation
It’s only your contribution, without any hesitation
Will make the world better, better for every person

Otherwise it was another event that I don't feel too eager to blog about. Below are some photos from the day. I forgot my flash drive so these are all I can upload at the moment. Oops!
There was stall highlighting each of the UN's joint programs with local artist performing. The aim of the exhibition was to provide a space for learning about what the UN in Tanzania is doing.




Many local artisans came with their goods to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment