Sunday, October 11, 2009

Leaving Dar!!!!

WOOHOOOOOO!!!! I'm FINALLY going to the field. I leave on Tuesday and come back on Thursday. Its a short trip to participate in event (don't ask me what it is, I'm just happy to be going) for Nyerere day hosted by the Ministry of Gender. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being in the field, but this is far different from my past field experiences with Barefoot in India. Then we always drove or took a train or bus. We usually crammed 12 people in an 8 seater jeep and drove for hours crossing Rajasthan by night. I even once had to lay down (if I sat up I would hit the roof) on a pile of fabric at the back of the jeep for a 14hr ride. Once we got to the field we talked with communities, saw projects, and worked tirelessly.

Not this time though. When I asked my colleague if we were going by car or bus, she laughed and said, "Are you crazy?!?!" I thought it was a logical question, but apparently not in UN world. How silly of me to ask, of course we're spending 500 bucks per person to go by air. Shucks I wanted to drive and see the country. We will be going to Mara region, near the Kenyan border and Serengeti National Park (sadly no side trip to Serengiti this time). Also, another point of difference is that this time instead of working, we're partaking in a event of some sort, which coincides nicely for the government whose in campaign mode. Needless to say this will be one politically charged event and an interesting one at that.

Also yay for me. UNIFEM asked me if I would be so kind as to take the photos. Of course! Little do they know that I would absolutely love to! Stay tuned for the recap of my first Tanzanian field visit with the government.

By the way here is information on Julius Nyerere, Tanzania's first president, who will be celebrated on Wednesday a public holiday, but not a UN holiday as I learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment