Monday, October 19, 2009

Times Like These it Feels Even More Like India

This is the post I would have written on Sunday if I had internet access.
My collegue and his wife were invited to a Gujarati's house for Diwali celebrations. They told them about me and the family kindly extended the invitation to me, someone they had never met. Now that's true Indian hospitality, to invite someone into your house even if you don't know them. I later learned that roomie knows this family and has spent many Diwali's at their annual function. Apparently, an incredibly well known family in Dar. I was super excited about going and having the opportunity to partake in traditional Diwali festivities. BUT the evening turned out not to be what I expected. I envisioned a traditional Diwali celebration full of laughter, sweets, and fireworks. There were fireworks being done in the city with small additional ones by the family. There were no Indian sweets, but there was a carrot cake and cupcakes. And aside from the family and myself everyone else were expats, all couples, most with kids. I felt out of place, being the youngest and also alone, but it was still nice to be out doing something rather than staying home. I loved watching the little kids chase around the family cat and cry from fear of the fireworks. The house was beautiful. Who knew behind the failing exterior was such a beautiful, rich interior wonderfuly decorated with old dark woods, candels, and rose petals floating in basins all around the house. I really appreciated being invited out and took a step towards noticing the small things.
When I got back to my place the balding roommate was asleep. I had expected him to have gone out. The next morning he non-chalantly said "This is nothing compared to the celebration in India. I've seen better, no need to see it here." Underneath all his talk I could tell he was missing home especially since this is his first time out of India. It was comforting to know I wasn't the only one feeling a bit lonely. Below are some photos from the afternoon preperations and the evening festivities.
Two of the many festively decorated shops.

Barfi, Indian sweets, from Poornima Sweet Shop.

A quick capture of the entrance to the house.

A kid with a sparkler.

No comments:

Post a Comment