Tuesday, October 6, 2009

My New Place of Living

I finally moved out of my supervisor's house (after 1 month) on Friday. I'm sharing a room with a 45ish widow which means I have NO privacy. When she's in the room, I go to the living room and vice versa. She comes in at 3am, wakes up often in the night and turns on all the lights each time she wakes up and snores. On top of that the bed is lumpy and hurts my back. SO I won't be getting much sleep these next 6 months. Her extra room has been rented to a 40ish balding Indian man, whose nice, but not too talkative. BUT not all the things about my new place are bad. The rent is cheap and includes delicious food, like the masala chicken and chips in the picture, it has internet access, a weak signal, but a signal nonetheless, and the location is great. I love that I live across from a Buddhist Temple and that I can walk out into a bustling neighborhood and take the local bus to work. Though at times I still feel like I'm not really experiencing Tanzanian life. I moved from the European bubble to an Indian bubble. My entire building is filled with Indian families, the tv is only subscribed to Indian channels, and the food is always Indian. I'm reminded I'm in Africa when I take the bus (Indians don't really seem to take the bus) and when I go to my friendly neighborhood market for a caffeine boost. Otherwise, I'm in an Indian bubble, which is Tanzanian, just from a different viewpoint.

yummy masala chicken and chips, my dinner Friday night

I stepped out of my building to see this fish being gutted. The first time I've ever seen the insides of a fish! I think he thought it was strange when I asked if I could take a picture...oh wells.

The very peaceful Buddhist temple across the street. I think I'll be finding myself going here often when I need some space.

2 comments:

  1. That masala chicken looks super spicy. Where is it on the mild-to-burn-roof-of-mouth-off scale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasnt too bad, i would say semi-burn to the mouth, but more on the spicy tangy side. doesn't it make you wish you ate meat : )

    ReplyDelete