Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Outlook Overhaul

I wanted to start this post like this: Been awake since 2am. Roomie upgraded her snoring levels and added some coughing. Moved onto the couch at 4am and spent the next 2 hrs being eaten alive by mosquitos.

BUT after a dear friend's advice, I really got to stop focusing on the negatives and find some small pleasures in my everyday misery outside of the office otherwise I'm going to end up hating every minute of being here. Like this morning as I laid on the couch I heard the call to at 5. I just listened to the beautiful sounds, not understanding a word but loving the idea of knowing that at that moment, all around Dar, people were praying. I wondered what and who they prayed for and for unexplainable reasons, it calmed my anger. I appreciated that roomie woke up at 6 to find me on the couch and to ask me if I was feeling ok. When I told her I couldn't sleep, she guessed it was because of the snoring and she apologized and said we'll have to come up with a solution. Though I know there really isn't one other than my moving and I don't have the bucks for that, I appreciated the fact she recognized it was a problem. Lastly, I appreciated the fact that for the first time since I've been here, I had a seat on the dala dala this morning. Finally, one ride without being sandwiched between 2 people. I got to sit next to an open window and feel the ocean breeze as we passed through the deserted streets (its a national holiday).

So this is the start of my attempt to just accept that sleep won't be coming easy for the next few months, but that not all things are bad. Think positive and maybe positive things will happen. And I apologize in advance if I do occasionally write another bitter, negative post. Change is slow right? So I end with a smile : )

Thanks friend.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting to see the photo of the dala dala. (I know I know its a bus, but wonder why its called dala dala)
    And I thought mosquitos were distributed only in India.

    ReplyDelete