Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Changing Gender Roles

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago during my first trip to NYC. My friends, Lilis and Lier, and I had been walking around all day in Manhattan on a chilly Friday morning. After walking through Soho and doing some jewelry shopping we went to curry hill to have some Indian Food at this great restaurant with an all vegetarian buffet. We were so hungry that we literally did not talk for the first 15 minutes as we were stuffing our faces. It was after we had finished and were unable to move that I noticed the South Asian family sitting across the way. As the man was feeding his daughter and the mother was eating, I slyly (at least I hope so) took his photo. There is something very loving about seeing a man interacting with his daughter.

I'm currently working on a paper about how to measure empowerment. One of the key measurements for empowerment is the changing nature of the relationship between men and women. I would say this photo illustrates that well. I wonder how many men would take the time to feed their child, especially their girl child. I'm sure there are quite a few and I'm even more sure that we still have a long way to go, but for now at least I've captured one. Slowly, but surely the gender roles will evolve.... at least I hope so. : )

2 comments: