Wednesday, September 30, 2009

You're an intern? Humph...

So last night after work my superviser told me that instead of going home we were going to a reception at a certain Ambassador's house (the country shall remain nameless). The house was beautiful...right on the water with floor to ceiling windows, a rich dark wood frame, and a balcony where you can feel the ocean breeze... oh what a house. Of course the shindig was fancy.
The receoption took place in the backyard under the moonlight with little lanterns hanging from the trees. Perfect breeze to cool us off while we sipped our wines and beers and ate tiny pieces of bread with some sort of fish, calamari, some fried cheese dough thing, and my favorite chicken with a kick of spice...mmmmm.
When my boss and I arrived we immediately were greeted by the Amabassador. We both said we were from UNIFEM and went along into the party. I met a minister (one that I will work closely with, but I can't say Minister of what) and a man from east Asia working in his embassy (which shall remain nameless). He was great, incredibly funny. He has been here a month and was standing alone at this function and when he saw me came running over and started conversation. He later said that at all these events there are so many westerners, very few Asians, but then he saw me. I was glad he came to talk to me too, someone just as new as me and who felt out of place among all the suits and high heels.
Later in the evening the Ambassador, not having anyone else to talk to, decided to come talk to me. He asked me how long my posting was, I told him 6 months. He then said "Oh, so are you one of those JPOs?" Now I had been determined not to say I was an intern. I have learned that when I say intern, people shut me out, even within the other UN agencies, BUT I didn't want the Ambassador to think I was a JPO and find out later I lied. SO I said, "No, I'm not a JPO, but an intern." BINGO shut out! His demeanor immediately changed. He was probably wondering why an intern was at his shindig where only so called 'important' people were in attendance. Grant it I was thinking the same thing, but hey just cause I'm an intern doesn't mean I don't know anything.
When we returned home, my boss gave me sound advice..."Don't always be so honest!" In this particular arena your title can open the door or shut you out. I know this, but I've been spoiled by how UNIFEM Tanzania doesn't treat me like an intern, but as a colleague and I get actual work! Sadly, we don't work in a world full of people like the one's I work with. *sigh*
Long story short: Don't always tell the truth. : )

1 comment:

  1. Spontaneous jokes always work. Unless of course the other person is smart enough to recognize evasive responses.

    ReplyDelete