Friday, September 18, 2009

Still without a home : (

Well, I am not exactly homeless, but I might as well be. My boss is very kindly still letting me intrude on her space for a bit longer as I endlessly search for a room to rent. I've found many, they just happen to cost $700 a month or more, money I don't have since I'm not getting a dime to be here. I've ruled out hopes of having a studio or sharing any sort of flat and am now on the search for a family that will kindly rent me a room. I did manage to find a room with a Tanzanian woman and her son, whom I know nothing about. Its a cramped room for $450 a month. I know she's ripping me off, but I decided to take it because its the cheapest I've found. I had plans to move this Sunday, but it seems people at work have now decided to help me find a place and have told me very strongly NOT to take this room because she just wants my money. Yeah, I already knew that, but with no other options in sight, I was just going to let her take what little money I have. It's rather frustrating navigating this unknown system on my own, where finding a place to live basically comes from asking around. I think I've asked everyone I've met if they know of a place and they all promise to look, but I know it takes a special kind of person to help someone they've met for 5 minutes and there aren't many of those. My efforts have born no fruit, but my collegues have talked to multiple people they know so there is an army of Tanzanians out there hunting down a room for me (apparently). So I've decided to trust the people I work with when they tell me to have some patience...pole dada (slowly sister). It's just quite frustrating to read about things working so well for the fellow SIDers out there (grass is always greener on the other side, right?). I guess I have to trust that things will fall into place for me as well...just have to follow with the African way of things...pole pole.

1 comment: