Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Barefoot Solar Engineers in Tanzania

I met Bunker, director of Barefoot, my mentor, and sort of acts like a caring grandpa, 2 weeks ago in Dar. He was here meeting with a local University, which is now a UNIFEM partner (thanks to me, toot tooting my horn) and they have selected 4 more women to be trained in solar electrification in India. If you know me then you know how much I love Barefoot and believe in the Barefoot approach. So of course I jumped at the opporutnity to get UNIFEM involved with the already trained Barefoot solar engineers who returned in March 2009. These women are featured on the front page (!!!) of todays The Guardian newpaper. Bunker also wrote an editorial, which I can't find the link to online, but as a summary money wasted in multi-lateral and bi-lateral institutions could be better spent, such as bringing light to Africa's rural poor thus, increasing household income, combating climate change, improving women's health, elevating women's status in society, and an overall improvement in the quality of life of those who suffer because of the mistakes of the rich. I could go on and on, but the article sums up the idea of the project. We are now working to get the Meatu women connected with an extremely impovershed area to train more women.
I knew Bunker was writing this article because he told me to keep an eye out for it. Then this morning we had a chat, which really made me laugh. I've left out what he's referring to because thats too personal for the blog world, but...
me: got the paper...its on the front page. will save you a copy

B: There is something inside as well on the Opinion Page...so the Editor said I have found a (blank) for you. (more blank)

me: what (blank) is this?

B: Patience.

me: i have no patience

B: Then go for a meditation course

me: funny

1 comment: