Friday, July 3, 2009

The Zoos & I



I started my relationship with the zoos when I was around 10 and my mom and aunt took me to my first zoo in Atlanta. I loved it and still do, went this morning with my mom to the Houston zoo. I try to go to a zoo as often as I can. I know critics of zoos say that the animals should be roaming free in the wild. I also feel that pang of guilt when I see an animal behind bars so that I and so many others can enjoy seeing them. But, there is another part of the story. Many of the animals are endangered or have been rescued and are being protected by the zoo. Also, zoos are a great educational experience on the importance of respecting animals and their territory and of course the all important need for conservation. And on top of all of these reasons, it opens up a world that would otherwise be completely shut to most of us, the animal kingdom. You can read about the Association of Zoos and Aquariums commitments here. So all in all despite that pang of guilt (especially what I felt after seeing the monkey above), I'm not breaking up with the zoos anytime soon
: ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment