Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Here we go!




In 2007 I went to the Salt Satyagraha museum in Dandi, Gujarat, close to my grandfather's home. Dandi is a small historic village where Gandhi, in 1930 ended the salt march, a non-violent protest against the salt tax, which was the first act of organized opposition to British rule.  This photo captures the last thing a visitor sees before leaving the museum. Though it isn't a well taken photo, I was moved by what was written..."My life is my message." I've done some googling to try to find out when Gandhi said this, but have yet to find an answer. 

I don't aspire to be Gandhi, nor can I ever compare myself to him and his life, but I do hope that one day my life will also be a message, even a small message to a few people.  I hope that this blog will help me formulate my story and help me discover what that message is. 

I have had many friends try to convince me to do a blog, but I have adamantly refused. Mostly because I haven't felt like I have anything to say that anyone would really care to read. However, I recently participated in a storytelling workshop with actor/activist James Lescesne and despite my complaints about the workshop, I did realize that I do have a story to tell and after much encouragement from friends, I've come to believe that I might actually have a knack at taking photos. 

So in spite of my hesitation, this is my attempt to formulate my story using the photos I have taken thus far on my journey. I am forever learning so any comments (negative or positive), suggestions, or a simple hello are absolutely loved! 

So here we go! 

3 comments: