Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Will the real UN please stand up?

An anonymous UN employee

"We are not missionaries! This is political, personal and driven by greed."

I further learned during this 3 hr meeting the European backstabbing efforts to drive out American aid in Tanzania. Boxing match, Americans in one corner, Europeans in the other...ready, set, FIGHT! Whose cheering them on? Certainly not the poorest of the poor who suffer the greatest from these geo-political battles because in the end the poor watch the money that is supposed to improve their livliehoods line the pockets of the fighters and this is not chump change folks...money is pushed by the thousands, millions . *sigh* this is the business of development at its highest and most corrupt level...absolutely disappointing, but sadly not surprising.

Lastly, got into a nasty argument with a colleague over why I'm pushing for community participation and approval of the solar project. I want focus group discussions and I want them to own the project. Then I busted out with "This is why so many UN projects fail!" Then she didn't say anything and I probably will get my head chopped off now. At least Prof. Howard would be proud...

No comments:

Post a Comment